Marlinespike Seamanship A - Knots and Lines
Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023 (5:30 pm - 8:30 pm)
Event Information: Marlinespike A is part one of a three-part Marlinespike series which will introduce background information about lines and teach you how to tie many commonly used knots. Parts two and three are primarily about splicing different kinds of line.
Participants must abide by all Hoofer Sailing Club Covid-19 event protocols during this event.
Location: Check the Today in the Union website or the digital signs in Memorial Union on the day of the lesson. Note that the event start time may appear earlier on the TITU listing but will begin at the time shown here.
Prerequisites: No knot tying experience required. This event is intended for Hoofer Sailing Club members but is open to members of all Hoofer Clubs. If you are not a member of the Sailing Club but are a member of another Hoofer Club, please contact Outdoor UW or the instructor to secure a place in the lesson.
To make the class run smoothly, students should go to www.animatedknots.com and review the following before class:
- figure-8 knot (stopper), stevadore stopper knot * and double overhand knot (stopper) *
- square knot (reef knot),
- clove hitch,
- round turn and two half-hitches,
- sheet bend, Carrick bend *,
- taut-line hitch/midshipman's hitch,
- bowline, and
- cleat hitch (clove hitch on a cleat)
- highwayman's hitch *
The purpose of the video review is so that you are exposed to what these knots look like. We do not expect you to learn to tie the knots by looking at the videos; we will be tying each of them during the lesson. Your looking at these videos will allow us to get through more material in the lesson.
Each student will be provided a length of line to practice with and take home. Students will also receive written handouts including a short book of knots.
Sailing Club members will receive a rating showing that they have been taught these knots and enabling them to take more advanced Marlinespike lessons..
* Knots marked with an asterisk above are recommended but not required for one or more Sailing Club ratings; those not so marked are required knots.
Sailing Club members who complete this lesson will receive a Marlinspike A rating.
- Event Type
- Lesson / Training (ratings may be achieved)
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- If this event is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance, participants will be notified via the email associated with their membership account. If the event needs to be cancelled within 24 hours of the event start time, the instructor will call each participant individually via the phone number associated with their membership account. We ask that students remove themselves from a lesson as soon as they know they will be unable to attend; lessons dropped within 24 hours of the lesson's start time will be considered a Late Drop. If you no-show for a lesson without informing the instructor, they may temporarily suspend your lesson sign-up privileges.
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- This event will occur on land. Participants are welcome to attend in their regular attire, no need for sailing clothes.