Marlinspike Seamanship A - Knots and Lines
Sunday, Aug 25, 2019 (4:30 pm - 7:30 pm)
Check Today in the Union on the day of the lesson. Note that this may appear earlier on the TITU listing but will start at the time shown here.
Prereq: Available for any Hoofer Club Member including members of other Hoofer clubs. If you are a member of any of the Hoofer clubs, there is no charge for this class. If you are not a member of the Sailing Club but are a member of another Hoofer Club, please contact Outdoor UW or email the instructor to secure a place in the lesson.
This is part one of a three-part Marlinspike series will introduce background information about lines and knots and teach you how to tie many commonly used knots. Parts two and three are primarily about splicing different kinds of line.
To make the class run smoothly, students should go to www.animatedknots.com and review the following before class:
- figure-8 knot (stopper), stevadore stopper knot * and double overhand knot (stopper) *
- square knot (reef knot),
- clove hitch,
- round turn and two half-hitches,
- sheet bend, Carrick bend *,
- taut-line hitch/midshipman's hitch,
- bowline, and
- cleat hitch (clove hitch on a cleat)
- highwayman's hitch *
The purpose of the video review is so that you are exposed to what these knots look like. We will be tying each of them during the lesson. (You may have a hard time getting the rating if you have not done the review.) Your looking at these videos will allow us to get through more material in the lesson.
Each student will be provided a length of line to practice with and take home.
Sailing Club members will receive a rating.
* Knots marked with an asterisk above are recommended but not required for one or more Sailing Club ratings; those not so marked are required knots.
- Event Type
- Lesson / Training