RS Zest Fast Track
Sunday, Aug 25, 2019 (9:00 am - 12:00 pm)
Please note, this lesson is intended for beginner sailors and will be held regardless of weather. This lesson will cover procedures for rigging, launching and sailing the RS Zest as well as sailing basics. This lesson will meet under the yellow canopy next to the Lakelab.
Click here to view some of the skills you should be familiar with from your Tech lessons as they will be further applied in the Zests.
Preference will be given to those who have a tech rating, a sloop rating, or have taken one of the following:
- Introduction to Keelboats
- Tech A
- Sloop A
- Windsurfing A
The following series of videos (about 10 min. each) will be a good preview of the information about sailing and sailing terms.
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 1)
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 2)
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 3)
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 4)
Please watch this video and be ready to discuss the physics of sailing.
For more on how sailing and sails work, here are some videos:
- How Do Sailboats Sail Faster Than the Wind
- Exploratorium: Science at the America’s Cup
- Vector Analysis of How Sailboats Sail Into the Wind
- How Boats Sail Into Wind (faster than the wind itself)
- Event Type
- (not set)