RS Zest A
Sunday, Aug 25, 2019 (1:00 pm - 4:00 pm)
Please note, this lesson is intended for beginner sailors and will be held regardless of weather. This lesson will cover procedures for rigging, launching and sailing the RS Zest as well as sailing basics. This lesson will meet under the yellow canopy next to the Lakelab.
The first day of a RS Zest class is always held regardless of adverse weather. Come prepared to sail!
Preference will be given to those who have a tech rating, a sloop rating, or have taken one of the following:
- Introduction to Keelboats
- Tech A
- Sloop A
- Windsurfing A
The following series of videos (about 10 min. each) will be a good preview of the information about sailing and sailing terms.
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 1)
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 2)
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 3)
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 4)
Please watch this video and be ready to discuss the physics of sailing.
For more on how sailing and sails work, here are some videos:
- How Do Sailboats Sail Faster Than the Wind
- Exploratorium: Science at the America’s Cup
- Vector Analysis of How Sailboats Sail Into the Wind
- How Boats Sail Into Wind (faster than the wind itself)
- Event Type
- (not set)