Tuesday, Jun 15, 2021 (5:30 pm - 8:30 pm)
Event Information:Siege, Sassafras and Rhubarb are Tartan 10’s, 33ft fractional rig sloops designed for racing. They are the largest boats in the hoofer fleet and have raced on the Great Lakes! Lessons will focus on basic seamanship as well as learning racing skills such as sailing under spinnaker, fine tuning sail trim, reading the wind and geometry of a course and timing a start. Please bring your rating progress form for check off after the lesson. If you have areas you would like to focus on, please let your instructor know. You can find the progress forms and other instructional material at hoofersailing.org/manuals
Participants must abide by all Hoofer Sailing Club Covid-19 event protocols during this event.
Lessons proceed in all weather conditions except thunderstorms, your instructor may have on-land discussions about sailing theory or advanced topics if the weather doesn’t permit sailing.
Location: This lesson will meet under the yellow canopy next to the lake lab. If you are unable to find your instructor, or if there is inclement weather, please check in with the Outdoor UW Office.
Prerequisite: Intro to Keelboat or Badger Sloop rating
Suggested reading is U.S. Sailing Basic Keelboat, Basic Cruising, Bareboat Cruising, available in the Outdoor Programs Office.
- Event Type
- Lesson / Training (ratings may be achieved)
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- If this event is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance, participants will be notified via the email associated with their membership account. If the event needs to be cancelled within 24 hours of the event start time, the instructor will call each participant individually via the phone number associated with their membership account.
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- This event will occur either partly or primarily on the water. Participants should wear attire they can move easily in and are comfortable getting wet. Close-toed shoes are required on all Hoofer craft. Lifejackets will be provided but you are welcome to bring your own if you prefer. Use of sunglasses, sunscreen, and a water bottle are strongly encouraged.