Intro to Keelboat Sailing
Monday, Jun 14, 2021 (5:00 pm - 8:00 pm)
Meet under the Yellow Canopy
The Intro to Keelboat Sailing lesson is intended to provide a beginner-friendly path to our heavy and light keelboats. This intensive lesson will cover the basics of sailing on a keelboat at Hoofers and will allow you to begin taking lessons on our keelboat fleets. This course covers sailing terminology and theory, practical sailing knowledge including knots and safety, and an introduction to the keelboat’s ratings and lesson structure.
All of the material covered in this class can be done on land; this class is not contingent on weather. However, if the weather cooperates your instructor may take the class on a keelboat, so wear suitable shoes and clothing.
It is recommended that you at least review the following knots on the Animated Knots website:
Please note: it will take quite a while to earn a rating with which you could check out a keelboat yourself if you come through this track. It is advised for members who wish to get out sailing sooner to start on Techs or Badger Sloops, or take both routes concurrently. This will allow you to practice sailing on your own and refine your skills before jumping up to a larger keelboat. It will smooth the learning curve and allow you more time to sail on your own and take your friends out on either a Tech or a Sloop and will not increase the total time to earn a keelboat rating.
Participants must abide by all Hoofer Sailing Club Covid-19 event protocols during this event.
Prerequisites: Ground School Attendance Rating.
- Event Type
- Lesson / Training (ratings may be achieved)
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- If this event is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance, participants will be notified via the email associated with their membership account. If the event needs to be cancelled within 24 hours of the event start time, the instructor will call each participant individually via the phone number associated with their membership account.
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- This event may occur on the water. Participants should wear attire they can move easily in and are comfortable getting wet. Close-toed shoes are required on all Hoofer craft. Lifejackets will be provided but you are welcome to bring your own if you prefer. Use of sunglasses, sunscreen, and a water bottle are strongly encouraged.