Saturday, Jul 24, 2021 (9:00 am - 12:00 pm)
Event Information: Marlinspike A is part one of a three-part Marlinspike series which will introduce background information about lines and teach you how to tie many commonly used knots. Parts two and three are primarily about splicing different kinds of line.
Participants must abide by all Hoofer Sailing Club Covid-19 event protocols during this event.
Location: Check the Today in the Union website or the digital signs in Memorial Union on the day of the lesson. Note that the event start time may appear earlier on the TITU listing but will begin at the time shown here. If the event does not appear on the TITU listing, please go to the Outdoor UW Office and speak with the staff to determine the event location.
Prerequisites: No knot tying experience required. This event is intended for Hoofer Sailing Club members but is open to members of all Hoofer Clubs. If you are not a member of the Sailing Club but are a member of another Hoofer Club, please contact Outdoor UW or the instructor to secure a place in the lesson.
Prior to attending this class, students should visit www.animatedknots.com (an excellent resource for sailors of all skill levels) and review the following knots:
- Figure 8 knot
- Double overhand knot
- Square knot
- Clove hitch
- Round turn and two half-hitches
- Sheet bend
- Carrick bend
- Taut-line hitch/Midshipman’s hitch
- Cleat hitch
- Monkey’s fist knot
The purpose of the video review is to familiarize students with how each of these knots look. Students will be instructed on how to tie them and given time to practice during the lesson.
Each student will be provided a length of line to practice with and take home. The night will end with learning to tie a Monkey's Fist!
Sailing Club members who complete this lesson will receive a Marlinspike A rating.
- Event Type
- Lesson / Training (ratings may be achieved)
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- If this event is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance, participants will be notified via the email associated with their membership account. If the event needs to be cancelled within 24 hours of the event start time, the instructor will call each participant individually via the phone number associated with their membership account.
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- This event will occur on land. Participants are welcome to attend in their regular attire, no need for sailing clothes.