Wednesday, Sep 15, 2021 (5:30 pm - 8:30 pm)
Event Information: Marlinespike Seamanship C is the final part of a three part series. In this session, students will learn about double-braid splicing, and then perform a double-braid eye splice. If time allows we will also tie a soft shackle.
To see all the steps of tying a double-braid eye splice, please watch this video before class (33 min): https://youtu.be/ZOq2DWN3t-M The video includes an excellent overview of this confusing splice as well as tips and common pitfalls along the way. It demonstrates a special splicing tool, but we will adapt the process to any splicing tool. If you have your own tools or rope for a special project, bring them, but we will provide everything you need, including rope.
Here are the instructions from the video in printed format: http://www.briontoss.com/education/BTR_book.pdf
For tying a soft shackle, please review or learn the Carrick Bend: animatedknots.com/carrick-bend-knot
Participants must abide by all Hoofer Sailing Club Covid-19 event protocols during this event.
Location: Check the Today in the Union website or the digital signs in Memorial Union on the day of the lesson. Note that the event start time may appear earlier on the TITU listing but will begin at the time shown here. If the event does not appear on the TITU listing, please go to the Outdoor UW Office and speak with the staff to determine the event location.
Prerequisites: Marlinespike A and B Rating (earned from completing Marlinespike A and B Lessons)
Students who complete this lesson will receive a Marlinspike C Rating.
- Event Type
- Lesson / Training (ratings may be achieved)
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- If this event is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance, participants will be notified via the email associated with their membership account. If the event needs to be cancelled within 24 hours of the event start time, the instructor will call each participant individually via the phone number associated with their membership account.
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- This event will occur on land. Participants are welcome to attend in their regular attire, no need for sailing clothes.