J24 MYC Race - Women's Crew
Wednesday, Jun 29, 2022 (5:00 pm - 8:00 pm)
Event Information: This three hour lesson will focus on refinement of skills specific to the J24, racing, and the knowledge gained in prior keelboat lessons. Students will have the chance to further practice rigging jib/genoa, main and spinaker, boat handling, landing and race tactics. This lesson will participate in the official Mendota Yacht Club (MYC) races. This lesson will take place primarily on the water.
Location: This lesson will meet under the yellow canopy next to the lake lab. If you are unable to find your instructor, or if there is inclement weather, please check in with the Outdoor UW Office.
Prerequisites: Previous J24 or heavy keelboat lessons, as well as Intro to Keelboat
Students who take this lesson will generally be working toward earning their J24 Light rating or have J24 rating and are learning to be more comfortable in a racing environment. The Keelboat fleet uses a J-Fleet sign off sheet for earning ratings to help keep track of proficiency. Once the student has filled out a J-Fleet sign off sheet, they will be eligible to earn a J24 Light rating. It will take several lessons to achieve proficiency in the skills that constitute the rating. Ratings are issued at the discretion of the Instructors.
- Event Type
- Lesson / Training (ratings may be achieved)
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- If this event is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance, participants will be notified via the email associated with their membership account. If the event needs to be cancelled within 24 hours of the event start time, the instructor will call each participant individually via the phone number associated with their membership account.
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- This event will occur either partly or primarily on the water. Participants should wear attire they can move easily in and are comfortable getting wet. Close-toed shoes are required on all Hoofer craft. Lifejackets will be provided but you are welcome to bring your own if you prefer. Use of sunglasses, sunscreen, and a water bottle are strongly encouraged.