Rhubarb MYC Beginner Racing Lesson
Sunday, Aug 14, 2022 (8:30 am - 12:30 pm)
Event Description: This lesson will participate in the official Mendota Yacht Club (MYC) races. Races with MYC can be fast-paced. No race experience is necessary, we rotate positions as possible. Over the course of a season you should cover the entire checklist for a J-spinnaker requirement. Season performance will be recorded by MYC.
Siege, Sassafras and Rhubarb are Tartan 10s, 33ft fractional rig sloops designed for racing. They are the largest boats in the hoofer fleet and have raced on the Great Lakes! Lessons will focus primarily on performance racing, seamanship, and dynamics of a racing crew. Topics covered vary depending on conditions, but will generally include boat handling, flying a spinnaker, operating under motor, selecting sails and rigging, racing techniques, tactics, racing culture and rules, communication skills, and judgment.
Lessons will proceed in all weather conditions except thunderstorms, the MYC race may be canceled for very light winds. Please dress appropriately and expect cooler temperatures on the lake. Dressing appropriately includes close-toed shoes, sunscreen, and sunglasses.
Please bring you rating progress form for check off after the lesson. You can find the progress forms and other instructional material at hoofersailing.org/manuals
Location: This lesson will meet under the yellow canopy next to the lake lab. If you are unable to find your instructor, or if there is inclement weather, please check in with the Outdoor UW Office.
Pre-requisite: Intro to Keelboat or Badger Sloop rating
- Event Type
- Lesson / Training (ratings may be achieved)
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- If this event is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance, participants will be notified via the email associated with their membership account. If the event needs to be cancelled within 24 hours of the event start time, the instructor will call each participant individually via the phone number associated with their membership account.
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- This event will occur either partly or primarily on the water. Participants should wear attire they can move easily in and are comfortable getting wet. Close-toed shoes are required on all Hoofer craft. Lifejackets will be provided but you are welcome to bring your own if you prefer. Use of sunglasses, sunscreen, and a water bottle are strongly encouraged.