Wednesday, Aug 17, 2022 (2:00 pm - 5:00 pm)
Event Information: Spray is a 30ft classic cruising yacht that has sailed the great lakes before coming to Hoofers in 2003. Lessons on Spray focus on cruising and general sailing skills including care and use of the inboard diesel engine, sailing with a roller furler jib, and ensuring the crew has a safe and enjoyable sail.Please bring your rating progress form for check off after the lesson. If you have areas you would like to focus on, please let your instructor know. You can find the progress forms and other instructional material at hoofersailing.org/manuals
Lessons proceed in all weather conditions except thunderstorms, your instructor may have on-land discussions about sailing theory or advanced topics if the weather doesn’t permit sailing.
Location: This lesson will meet under the yellow canopy next to the lake lab. If you are unable to find your instructor, or if there is inclement weather, please check in with the Outdoor UW Office.
Prerequisite: Intro to Keelboat or Badger Sloop rating
Suggested reading is U.S. Sailing Basic Keelboat, Basic Cruising, Bareboat Cruising, available in the Outdoor Programs Office.
- Event Type
- Lesson / Training (ratings may be achieved)
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- If this event is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance, participants will be notified via the email associated with their membership account. If the event needs to be cancelled within 24 hours of the event start time, the instructor will call each participant individually via the phone number associated with their membership account.
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- This event will occur either partly or primarily on the water. Participants should wear attire they can move easily in and are comfortable getting wet. Close-toed shoes are required on all Hoofer craft. Lifejackets will be provided but you are welcome to bring your own if you prefer. Use of sunglasses, sunscreen, and a water bottle are strongly encouraged.