Introduction to Marine Four-Stroke Engines | Winter Sailing Seminars
Wednesday, Mar 8, 2023 (6:30 pm - 8:00 pm)
Event Information: Join Mills Botham in an overview of four-stroke outboard engines and their inner workings.
Our Winter Sailing Seminars occur weekly and cover a variety of nautical topics. The seminars are open to the community and sailing club membership is not required.
This year we ask participants to bring at least one non-perishable item per seminar to be donated to the Lussier Community Education Center. Most needed items include: olive oil, vegetable oil, maple syrup, sugar, flour, jelly/jam, pancake mix, paper towels, toilet paper, & baby wipes. Get more ideas from their Food Pantry Donation Wish List.
Please see below for a detailed list of this season's dates and topics.
Location: Check the Today in the Union website or the digital signs in Memorial Union on the day of the lesson. Note that the event start time may appear earlier on the TITU listing but will begin at the time shown here. If the event does not appear on the TITU listing, please go to the Outdoor UW Office and speak with the staff to determine the event location.
2023 Winter Sailing Seminars:
January 12 (Thursday): Sailing the British Virgin Islands with Max Slesarev
January 18: Building Your First Boat with Jo Reis
January 25: Spray's New Panel and Marine Electronics with Michael Litzkow
January 27 (Friday): Bareboating in Croatia with Pete & Christine Keuler
February 1: Sail GP - The Greatest Show on Water with Philip Tietze
February 8: Weather in the Great Lakes region with Ian Beckley
February 15: Limnology of Lake Mendota with Mark Gahler
February 17 (Friday): Sailing to the Virgin Islands and back with kids and a dog with Daniel Rogge
February 22: Nautical Communication with Mark Gillespie
March 1: Understanding the Racing Rules of Sailing with Dave Elsmo
March 8: Introduction to Marine Four-Stroke Engines with Mills Botham
March 15: Advanced Racing Tactics with Dave Elsmo
March 22: The Physics of Sailing with Sam Norrell
- Event Type
- Educational Event (passive learning, no rating)
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- If this event is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance, participants will be notified via the email associated with their membership account. If the event needs to be cancelled within 24 hours of the event start time, the instructor will call each participant individually via the phone number associated with their membership account.
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- This event will occur on land. Participants are welcome to attend in their regular attire, no need for sailing clothes.