Outdoor Explorer Series (Introductory Course): Backcountry Fire Building
Tuesday, May 2, 2023 (5:30 pm - 6:30 pm)
Join Outdoor UW for their new Outdoor Explorer Series. Learn and practice a new skill that will make you more comfortable and excited for your next adventure!
Intro to Backcountry Fire Building
The purpose of this class is to talk about strategies for building fires in the backcountry. This includes Leave No Trace considerations that focus on minimizing the impacts of backcountry campfire building. Students who participate in this class will walk away with new ideas and skills for fire-making and building. Once we have been able to practice building a fire we hope to have a conversation on equity and inclusion in the outdoors as we sit around a fire and enjoy some community-building time.
Upon completion of this class, participants will:
- Learn how to build a backcountry campfire
- Learn LNT considerations that will help minimize campfire impacts
- Have conversations around what factors limit participation in outdoor activities for non-dominant and marginalized identities.
- Learn what they can do to promote equity diversity and inclusion in the outdoors.
*** This class will begin in the Mendota lodge in Memorial Union and migrate to the Dejope fire circle to practice fire-building skills that we learned in class. Come prepared to be indoors and outdoors :)
- Event Type
- Educational Event (passive learning, no rating)
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- In the event that the course is cancelled by Outdoor UW, full refunds will be issued. Refunds will not be issued if participants cancel within 24 hours of event.
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- Food and Equipment Information